David Hockney: Love Life

Tender exhibition at Charleston Farmhouse of drawings by David Hockney from the 1960s and 70s.

The drawings recorded everyday life from friends and lovers, through interiors and still-lives.  Most came from private collections so this was a lovely opportunity to see them.

At first I was wondering why Charleston had chosen to show them then realised the subjects are similar to those of the Bloomsbury artists who worked at the house. They looked at the beauty in the ordinary. I loved the close, quiet observation of detail.

I think my favourite was an interior and view through a window of the Grand Hotel, Vittel from 1970 but I also loved this 1960s LA one.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1