Ritsue Mishima : Glass works

Beautiful but confusing exhibition at Gallerie Accademia in Venice of glass sculptures by Ritsue Mishima.

I say confusing because there seemed to be no commentary with the pieces. I note the show had been attended and there was building work going on so I wondered if labels had disappeared. Reading the advert outside I realised the work was reacting to the Canova sculpture it was shown with and a line of beautiful pieces on a mirrored surface represented her response to Venice.

Even though I didn’t know the above at the time I saw the pieces, I found then beautiful and sympathetic in the space. The line of 15 works on the mirror worked well and some reminded me of fossils. However I think my favourites were the small pieces she called Meteorites which rejected the space and colours around them.

Closes 27 November 2022

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1