Eddie Peake: Concrete Pitch

Surprisingly good exhibition at White Cube, Bermondsey of new work by Eddie Peake.

As I walked into the large gallery space and realised there was a live DJ in a booth and a few, apparently random items, I feared it was going to be a bit pretentious. However as I read about the works I found I was drawn to them and found some really interesting ideas.

I must admit the items on the wall didn’t really grab my attention but I loved a series of metal tables in a curve taking up the centre of the room. This represented a road in the artist’s neighbourhood, Stroud Green Road, with objects reflecting the shops on the road. I do have a middle aged moan that it also included speakers with a soundtrack using disported noises from the street but with the DJ playing in the same space there was no chance to hear this.

I also loved a video installation, yes me saying I liked a video installation, which was projected within an enclosed space made by full length white curtain in a spiral shape. The projected image appeared on only in the middle but through the thin curtain on the entrance corridor. I thought this was a really innovative way of showing video art and made a nice change from wandering into a dark room and waiting for your eyes to adjust.

I also liked the large installation taking up two sides of the show which created a false wall and alerted the shape of the room. You could exit along the back of it through a narrow corridor which again changed your experience of the exhibition.

Closes on 8 April 2018

Review
Telegraph


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1