Brother Sister

Lovely exhibition at the Museum of Childhood of photographs of siblings by Madeleine Waller.

As I don’t have any siblings I found this really interesting. It looked at how sibling relationships affect identity which is usually looked at through the prism of the relationship with parents.

Each person is photographed alone but in the same setting as their siblings, usually within their home and is accompanied by a comment from the sitter about their role in the family. It was interesting to see how early on people define their roles and I wondered how these changed or are allowed to change. It would have been nice to see some adults included to get an idea of how relationships change and what they mean in later life.

There were some lovely quotes, my favourite being from one girl with two brothers “I can always say you’re my favourite to get things off them.”

Closes on 20 May 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1