Sculpture in the City 2015

Great sculpture trail round the City of London.

I will admit I got a bit lost, partly because Google Maps decided I was somewhere completely different to where I was, so I did miss a few of the works! However once I got my bearings it was  good to go round bits of the city I’d not been to before and the sculpture was a good excuse for a walk!

The most dramatic work was Damian Hirst’s “Charity” a huge version of a charity collection box in the shape of a disable child which I remember from my childhood. It had the back broken open as if the money had been stolen. Set against the Gherkin in quite a small lane this was the star of the show.

I also liked “Carson, Emma, Takashi, Zezi, Nia” by  Tomoaki Suzuki, small but beautifully detailed sculptures of the people who might be in the area and looking at them. I’d like to see more by this artist but displayed at a height where you could look at the detail, these were shown on the ground so it was easy to miss them.

Also a shout out for “O my friends, there are no friends” by Sigalit Landau, bronze shoes in a circle with real laces joining them together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1