Fans of the Belle Époque

Interesting exhibition at the Fan Museum looking at French fans of the late 19th and early 20th century.

I had expected them all to have Art Nouveau designs but there were also a number which looked back to the Baroque. The Art Nouveau ones were the most beautiful with wonderfully painted leaves (thank you for the great glossary on the wall) and sticks with sinuous designs.

I hadn’t realised that the best fans were hand painted often done by the major artists of the day. The Impressionists loved working to a fan shape. I know nothing about fans so learnt that Duvelleroy & Kees were the leading fan makers in Paris.

My favourite was the Iris fan pictured painted by one of the Billotey family of fan painters. I also loved a display of advertising fans including one for the Charing Cross Hotel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1