Duane Hanson

Brilliant but slightly scary exhibition at the Serpentine Sackler Gallery of life like sculptures by Duane Hanson.

I say scary because I am a woman who was once chased by a wax work! These figures are so realistic that you expect them to move and it feels strange looking at them like you are staring at a real person. I think it’s the detail and the quality of the skin tone which is so amazing.

The figures were just displayed in the open gallery without ropes so they inhabit the same space as the viewer and at times it was hard to tell who the visitors were as you’ll see from the attached photo.

My favourite was the cowboy who lounged against the wall as you walked in.  I also loved the older couple sitting at the back of the gallery happy in their own company.

Review
Times

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1