Bruce Bernard: Portraits of Friends

Charming exhibition at Gagosian Grosvenor Hill of photographs by Bruce Bernard of artists who appear in the other exhibition in the gallery, Freud, Auberbach, Bacon and Andrews. 

These were gentle and often funny photographs of the artists in their studios. It was fascinating to see them against paintings that you know well such as Bacon with “Street Scene (With Car in the Distance)”.

The Freud pictures were most telling as they showed him larking around with his daughter Bella and Celia Paul, not a view we often have of him. I spotted in these light hearted works that he has on the boots he wears in the later naked self-portrait.

I’d missed the note to say there were no photos in the gallery and a nice guard came up to tell me and watch me delete the two I’d taken (not this one it’s from the web). He then had to come back to ask me to delete them from the recycle bin and he had to show me how to do it! All fine very nicely and politely but it was a first for me in my wanderings.

Closes 28 January 2023

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1