Leilah Babirye : Ebika Bya ba Kuchu mu Buganda (Kuchu Clans of Buganda) II

Interesting exhibition at Stephen Friedman Gallery of work by Ugandan artists Leilah Babirye.

This was a mix of wooden sculpture, large -scale ceramic works, masks and large paintings on paper. I loved the way she uses found objects which she combines with hand crafted pieces. Depending on scale they reminded me of totem poles, shrunken heads or Benin bronzes. I liked the way they worked as individual pieces but also grouped together so well.

I have since read the press release and realised the pieces are also saying things about LGBTQ life in Uganda and Africa and about Bugandan kinship systems but I’m not sure I would have got that depth from just looking at the work.

Closes 31 July 2021

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1