Joe Tilson: ALCHERA

Bright exhibition at Marlborough Fine Art of wood relief and sculptural works from the 1970s and 80s by Joe Tilson.

I know Tilson for his more recent pictures of Venice set against a patterned background so I was fascinated to see these earlier works. I liked their handcrafted feel  particularly those which were little shelves like a cabinet of curiosities.

Many of the works evoke the elements and the back room had groups of sculptures on each of the themes presenting boxes of natural items linked to the element such as feathers in the air boxes.

I particularly liked this colourful board of compartments and I would like to see more of his earlier work.

Closes 31 July 2021

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1