Ellen Gallagher Ecstatic Draught of Fishes

Interesting exhibition at Hauser and Wirth of five new works by Ellen Gallagher.

I liked these works however I am not sure that I really understood what they were saying by just looking at them although I found them rather beautiful. I got something about colonialism and the oceans but that was it. When I read the press release again, I was fascinated by their art historic influence and this added a rich layer to them but I didn’t understand that from looking.

I can feel a slight grump coming on that what there seems little point in making some complex point in a work of art which can’t readily be read within it. If you are following my afternoon’s blogging, you’ll realise there seems to be a rash of this at the moment. I am happy to read and learn more about a work but its meaning should be visible in the image otherwise it is just a pretty picture.

Closes 31 July 2021

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1