The Studio at 4am


Disjointed exhibition at Hastings Contemporary showcasing the work of eight contemporary artists.

Curated by Anne Ryan, the artist of another show in the gallery, the works were selected for their sense of join and a practice of prolonged making and craft. The title refers to a ”metaphorical 4am of deep thinking that the artists attain in their thinking-thought-making approach to their work”. I must admit I’m not sure I got that from the work.

This is the first time I’d been to Hastings Contemporary and for me it had a similar problem to Tate Modern, the art had to compete with the stunning views from the windows. In this case I’m afraid their windows won. I did however like Anna Brass’s “Dazzle Cathedral” a 3D effect flat church in carpet, honestly it was better than it sounds. I also loved Freya Guest’s small usually shaped paintings including the still life “Asparagus and Egg Linguine”. 

Sorry I forgot who this picture was by but it was rather fun.

Closes 22 March 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1