Meet Vincent Van Gogh


Disappointing exhibition in a temporary building in Coin Street looking at the life and work of Vincent Van Gogh.

There seem to be two exhibitions like this touring at the moment and I must admit I thought this was the other one which I’d seen advertised which projects Van Gogh’s pictures around spaces so you are immersed in them. This one told his story using installations, audio visual presentations and practical areas to try out art techniques. Because I was expecting immersion and an exciting space I was disappointed.

I did like the installations like the one shown of Van Gogh’s room in the Yellow House and at the end of the asylum at Remy which includes a recreation of his window which was filled with the view from it which morphed into copies of his painting at the time. However the content of the show felt thin and I missed any real sense of how the art evolved.

I had technology issues with the show which used the headsets that trigger as you reach certain points in the show but this means commentaries often started half way though and if you moved around you trigger another one without meaning to. I’d rather have control!

The whole thing felt like style over substance and a free trip to the National Gallery to stand in front of their Van Gogh’s would be far more inspiring.

Closes 21 May 2020

Reviews 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1