Picasso and Paper


Overwhelming exhibition at the Royal Academy of Picasso’s work on paper.

I say overwhelming as it covered Picasso’s whole career and hence also became a show on the developments and changes in his style in general. Although I loved the show I felt it was too much to cover in one sitting. As ever with Picasso’s art, it lost me around about Guernica.

I loved the early rooms and am always stunned at what a fantastic draftsman he was, I loved this self portrait sketch. I liked the way the show included a few paintings to illustrate the trajectory of his work and in the first room it was lovely to see La Vie and various studies for it.

There was a room devoted to Les Demoiselles d’Avignon which was a such a visual shock as you entered it that you realised what a revolutionary picture it was in its time. Although the work itself had not travelled, there was a good full-sized reproduction and lots of wonderful studies for it so you got a really good idea of the creative process.

Another nice touch was to include the studies for Picasso’s ballet designs for Ballet Russe along with a video of a performance of it and a recreation of one of the costumes. As a Bloomsbury fan I also must mention the drawing of Clive Bell in Picasso’s studio in that room

I realise my notes peter out around there, about halfway round the show. Later highlights I did note were the statue of a man with a sheep and the studies for it and the room looking at his responses to Manet and Delacroix.

Just as I was starting to wonder how so much of this work had survived as some seemed very ephemeral when I found a display showing how he kept all his papers hanging from clips from the studio ceiling.

Closes on 13 April 2020

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph
Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1