The Fortuny: A Family Story


Disappointing yet beautiful exhibition at Palazzo Fortuny in Venice telling the story of Mario Fortuny Y Madrazo, the fashion designer, and his father, the artist, Mario Fortuny Y Marsal.

I say disappointing because there was no narrative or labels, in fact if I’d not picked up a leaflet I’d have been none the wiser to it even being an exhibition. The leaflet told you about the father and son in quite a dense way and wasn’t something you’d read as you walked round. I guess the idea was for the space to speak for itself but I’d not sure it was telling the story.

However I say beautiful because the main room was set out with lots of Fortuny dresses. I’ve been to Palazzo Fortuny before a couple of times and oddly enough this is what I’d hoped it would look like. On the other occasions this original room had been shown with contemporary art but this gives the best view of what it might have looked like when Fortunty was living and working there. 

I love the cut and colours of the clothes and it was interesting to see Eastern clothes and fabrics collected by Fortuny’s father which had influenced the designer shown alongside them. Showing them in this space gave a sense of how and where they’d have been worn.

Closes 24 November 2019



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1