Luogo E Segni (Place and Signs)


Confused exhibition at Punta Della Dogana in Venice of contemporary art on the theme of the inner landscape.

I’m reading the leaflet again as I type and I’m still not sure what the show was about although there were some lovely works. A lot of the artists were inspired by the poet Etel Adnan but as I’m not familiar with their work that doesn’t really help me. The show was also meant to light variations of the building.

Let’s just dive into what I liked! I loved Philippe Parreno’s mesmeric video installation recreating a suite at the Waldorf Astor Hotel in New York and adding her ghostly presence through recreations of her view of the room, her voice and a robot reproducing her handwriting. It was shown in a room with paintings by the aforementioned poet, Etal Adnan, and at the end of the video the light changed so you could see the pictures. A lovely effect.

I liked the work shown here which were a series of greenhouses. I liked the fact that when you first viewed them from above there was no hint of what they were from the ground. By Hicham Berrada they are called “Night Jasmine”.

I haven’t made notes on any other works in the show and I must admit they have not stayed with me. I have found before with this venue that the art has to compete with the amazing views of the Grand Canal and not many artists can take that on and win!

Closes 15 December 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1