Félix Vallotton


Beautiful exhibition at the Royal Academy on the life and work of the Swiss artist Félix Vallotton.

I loved the rich colours of the painted works in this show which created an evocative view of Parisian life in 1900. I also liked his woodcuts which were taken up by the Liberal press and he became the principle illustrator for La Revue and the show included some lovely portraits of his colleagues there.

His work took on a more domestic feel when he married the wealthy daughter of a Parisian art dealer and he stopped producing woodcuts. I loved his pictures of turn of the century interiors often featuring couples which made you mind start to build stories about them.

My favourite picture was the one attached of a maid looking in a closet. I love the way the lamp highlights the white linens. I also loved a picture of a shop with a display of brightly coloured, wrapped soaps.

Closed 29 September 2019

Reviews



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1