There But Not There


Poignant installations throughout the UK to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War.

The idea is for communities all around the country to install either a silhouette of a First World War soldier or seated clear Perspex figures in indoor spaces. The silhouette is inspired by an iconic photograph taken during the war by Horace Nicholls. The work is the 2018 Armistice project for the charity Remembered which raises money for veterans’ charities and the Commonwealth War Graves Foundation.

I obviously haven’t been all round the country to see these but the one which caught my eye was in Westminster Tube station and I spotted it quite late one evening. It must have appeared that day as I go through every day and hadn’t seen it before. It made me stop and look and take a reflective moment in the busy space. I will certainly look out for others. It’s such a simple and moving idea.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1