Bare Mountain


Strange show at the Royal Academy of work by RA graduate Sara Knowland and current third year student Frances Drayson.

The title of the show refers to Russian composer Mussorgsky’s Night on Bare Mountain which they use as a prompt to cue to explore their interest in representation of gender, modes of expression and “mutable borders between the natural and the synthetic”. I’m sure you can guess from my quotes marks that I didn’t really understand this.

The show consisted of photographs and paintings of witch like figures and a floor installation of red Gothic arches. I did like the arches but wasn’t sure how the rest worked together. Sorry I tried!

Closed on 18 November 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1