Athi-Patra Ruga: Of Gods, Rainbows and Omissions


Colourful exhibition at Somerset House from three bodies of work by Athi-Patra Ruga.

OK I’m going to admit it I’m not sure I understood this exhibition but I did like it. I have just found an online booklet so I’m a bit clearer but I’m still not too sure. I get that it challenges colonial views of Africa and perceptions of women and homosexuality in Africa but don’t ask me the details.

I liked the intricate tapestries which has a slight feel of Grayson Perry. They were bright and include vignettes brought together into a story. I liked that they were shown with large photos on similar themes and you can see some of the balloon covered character in the pictures in the textiles. I also liked a full sized figure covered in beads and bling which oddly reminded me of the Emancipation Statue in Barbados.

Closes 6 January 2018


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1