Narelle Jubelin: Flamenco Primitivo

Strange exhibition at Marlborough Contemporary of work by Narelle Jubelin consisting of small pictures in petit point referring to great works by modernist artists and bronze cast of packing material. See I said strange!

The title of the show was taken from the opening section of a performance by a contemporary Flamenco singer who wears a Francis Bacon t-short and a video of him was playing in the gallery. I’ve read the commentary a few times now and I still don’t understand the link.

The petit point or needlework pictures were small which did make you look closely at them and think about the original artists they are based on but as I am not a great fan of modernist art they left me a bit cold. I did however like the castings of packing material which were hung on the wall. I always love the strange shapes in packaging which reflects the shadow of the thing that was in them. And this was an interesting way of elevating the mundane by using bronze and imagination.

Closes on 12 March 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1