Jeff Zilm: Some Screen Mods

Intriguing images at the Simon Lee Gallery by Jeff Zilm made by extracting the images and sound tracks from films which become an emulsion with which he then paints a black and white abstract image named after the original film.

Or at least I think that’s it! I think he paints the image the commentary just said the film is “transcribed in its entirety onto a single canvas” from looking closely I think that means painted using all the emulsion from a single film after peering closely at the image.  The images themselves are quite ethereal and slightly play with your eyes.

I liked the fact the canvases were prepared with screen paint used by home movie enthusiasts so that the support represents a movie screen. Also the fact each picture was named after the original film giving integrity though from the original.

I did however hear my mother’s voice in my head with one of her favourite phrases “It’s clever but it’s not art”! I liked the images but did feel they were more interesting for what they represented that for the image.

Closes on 1 April 2016

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1