Anthony Whishaw: Paintings from the mid-1960s to late 2015

Colourful exhibition at Browse & Darby of work by Anthony Whishaw from throughout his career.

The pictures seemed rather a mixed bag of styles buy I liked them and was drawn to abstracted landscapes and views. Like other work I had seen that day, some of his canvases included stuck on patches and bits of thread to give texture.

I liked an early work called “Life Class St Martin’s” which showed an abstract view of a life class in shades of terracotta and green. It took a while for my eye to make it out but once you picked out the figures it was very atmospheric. My favourite picture was the one attached which was a recent work and called “Seascape”. I loved the wonderful patterned sea and the flat composition.

Closes on 31 March 2016.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1