Thea Porter: 1970s Bohemian Chic

Nostalgic exhibition at the Fashion and Textile Museum looking at the life and work of the 1970s designer Thea Porter.

OK I have to start with one big gripe! The clothes were shown in interesting display cases like sheds in nice arrangements; I particularly liked the one to represent the shop window. However sections of these were covered by black gauze. I’m guessing this was to stop the clothes fading but I’ve been to shows at this museum of much older items which didn’t use this. In meant some of the clothes were really difficult to see and sat in a haze! It really spoilt my enjoyment of the show partly because I couldn’t see items but also because I got so irritated by it. Don’t do it again!

The clothes were lovely and it was one of those moments when you realise what you were being influenced by in your youth without realising it at the time. I kept remembering a lovely brown flowered Indian style dress I had and the illustrations in girls’ magazines at the time.

I got a real sense of friendship form the show as so many of the outfits seem to have been made for friends and there was much mention of the dinner parties she held in a mirrored dining room.

I can’t really pick one piece that stood out just an image of colour, pattern and style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1