Elizabeth Blackadder: Decades

Delightful exhibition at Browse & Darby of work by Elizabeth Blackadder from about 1954 to now.

I often have Royal Academy notelets in by Elizabeth Blackadder but it is interesting to see the real work in the flesh. It has a slightly rougher look that the reproduced images which I liked, often with the underworking and thinking process showing in the finished work.

I preferred the watercolours to the oils as they had a fragility to them. The oils tended to be slightly blockier. I think my favourite was “Carbs and other shells” as the subject matter gave it a Van Gogh feeling. I also liked tow of fruit on a Japanese plate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1