Gift Horse

The fabulous new sculpture on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square by Hans Haacke.

I voted it for it in the competition a year or so ago and now it’s up I love it! The scale works really well on the plinth and I like the nod to the idea that it was designed for a man on a horse. I was worried that the ribbon on its leg with a feed from the Stock Exchange might not work but it does and it is lovely to have that little bit of colour and movement on it. It works well in daylight and at night.

I’m not hearing it being talked about as much as the big blue cock on the bus as I pass though. I think it may not be quite so accessible plus being bronze, it doesn’t stand out quite so much so I think passersby who aren’t looking for it don’t see it which is a shame.

I am looking forward to seeing it in all lights over the next year or so and seeing how it changes in different conditions.

Review
Guardian
Telegraph
Evening Standard

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1