Premiums : Interim projects

Annual exhibition at the Royal Academy featuring the work of artists in their second year at the schools there.

I did find this a bit of a mixed bag and I must admit rereading my notes now not a lot of images have stuck in my mind. I have written next to works by Rhys Coren “rather jolly and decorative” but I have no memory of them now. In my defence I have done a lot since!

As you can see from the photo I did rather like a piece by Kira Freiji called “Closer than Morning” as it was quite fun and used the space in an interesting way. I also have to mention that one of Freije’s works was made of powdered coated steel and aluminium, cotton and baby oil! That’s a first for me!

I liked Anna Hughes sculptures particularly one like a cross section of a melon but I found it hard to marry up the titles of items in the leaflet to the works. Robin Seir’s bright, decorative works reminded me of Gary Hume’s works based on hospital doors.

I think my favourite piece was Wanda Wieser’s sculpture which looked like a wash basin with a mouth and tongue where the tap should be! I want one as a wash basin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1