Russian Avant Garde theatre: War, revolution and design

Fascinating exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum on Russian theatre from 1913-1933.

I began this show on the corridor by the theatre galleries in which the museum often hold small shows and displays so I was expecting it to be about 5 cases in size so I lingered there! Then I turned a corner and it went on into the galleries and actually turned out to be quite a large exhibition!

I found it fascinating as it became not only a history of the theatre but also a history of art and design in Russia at that time.  It was interesting to see the radical art which fed into the Revolution and then the effects of Stalin. I had studied the Russia from the Revolution to the Cold War at O level but never thought of it in terms of art before!

I particularly liked a section in the middle with a series of small set models. I did wonder how actors moved on some of the more sets which had stairs and floors at odd angles. Similarly how they would have worn some of the Cubist costumes. I began thinking that was just the style of the drawing but a film of contemporary restaging of a Malevich piece showed the actor in great boxy outfits!

It was interesting to see Malevich reappear following the show at the Tate and the current show at the Whitechapel which uses the Black Square as a starting point. There is also a reference to him in the current show at the Saatchi Gallery!

There were just too many lovely images to pull out particular ones. This is a show that’s well worth going to but be prepared to give it time!

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1