Pavement horizons: Where the Walls meet the Ground

Fascinating exhibition at Flowers Gallery of work by David Hepher.

These works are made from a thin layer of concrete on a canvas and acrylic paint. This gives them a wonderful texture.

My eye read them as lovely landscapes concentrating on the horizon. In one a saw rain over a beach and I thought I saw low hills on another horizon. I found them very relaxing and beautiful.

I then chatted to the lady at the desk, and yes reread the title, and realised they are in fact of where a wall meets a pavement. Hepher revisited the same section of a London Street over several months and documented the tonality and the weathering of the surface over time, in a rather Monet like fashion.

It just goes to show that we all make something different of what we see! The gallery lady very kindly said my interpretation “must mean you are an optimist and are looking up and out in life”. I think it also shows that you can find beauty in anything even the grubby bottom of walls!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1