Mapping the City

Confusing exhibition at Somerset House of work by street and graffiti artists supposed on a theme of maps.

I say confusing because I wasn’t too sure that all the works fitted the theme. One seemed to say it had stared with the idea of painting a map but it had ended up as woman! Things were not helped by the fact that your only guide round the show was a very confusing leaflet which I have pictured. It was a large format and as the works weren’t in order you were constantly having to open it and refold it to find what you were looking for. Added to that the numbers of the items were printed over the text and arrows, also over the text, joining up works in similar mediums. I’d also say I got lost finding the gallery so I was grumpy before I even got there!

I did however love a pyramid of coloured cement castles by 3TT Man. I think it had something to so with combing contradictory beliefs but I just thought it looked pretty. Also Will Sweeney’s take on Cabott Square in Canary Wharf which combined an accurate drawn view of the space and architecture with a fantasy of what else could be there in his imagination. It includes a floor of skulls and a mechanical chicken.

The best thing about the show was the space it was in. It was off the terrace by the river and is an area which is currently undergoing restoration. It therefore had unplastered walls, cornicing and broken fireplaces. In this state the space is an art work in its own right!

Review
Guardian


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1