Marlene Dumas: the Image as Burden

Interesting exhibition at Tate Modern looking at the work of Marlene Dumas which I’d describe as expressionist portraits.

I admit at first look I wasn’t too convinced by these pictures as they looked quite slap dash but on closer looking the draftsmanship was much more refined. I liked the fact that the room introductions were quotes by the artist which gave insight into her working methods. 

I didn’t really connect to them emotionally. I liked the “Black Drawings” sequence which was a series of heard studies with different degrees of finish and abstraction. I also liked the picture of the artist’s daughter “The Painter” which is at first a rather menacing image of a child with what look like bloodied hands however on reading the commentary she had been painting in the garden!

A lot of the work was based on found images from photographs and magazines and this technique reminded me of Sickert!

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1