Open House weekend


I only managed to get out one day of this year's Open House weekend as the Sunday was so wet and windy.

However on the Saturday I investigated events in my local area. I only moved to Woolwich about 6 months ago so I am still exploring.

The most fascinating event was the barracks at Station Officers’ Mess Woolwich Barracks. The building has the longest Georgian frontage in Europe and it was so interesting to go inside and see how a modern regiment was using it. I was delighted to see they were still commissioning art works. The other half of the building held the mess for the King’s Own Troop who have only recently moved there from St John’s Wood.

Over the road from the Barracks were the bombed ruins of St George’s Church which is now the VC memorial for the Royal Artillery. It was manned by a faithful band of ladies who are working to preserve it.

Finally on the way back I popped into Woolwich Town Hall. This Edwardian civic building had a lovely faded grandeur but was also a functioning town hall and a still very vibrant building.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1