Modern Day Auction Including Masterpieces from the Lewis Collection

Confusing but amazing exhibition at Sotheby's of the highlights in a sale of modern art.

Modern had quite a broad definition in this case basically meaning 20th century. I say confused as it was unclear in the show which pieces were from the Lewis Collection plus works from other sales seemed to be shown with them but after a while I really didn't care as I came across more and more stunning pieces.

Works included Kandinskys, a Gauguin still-life, a Van Gogh drawing and a Picasso of Dora Maar.

I think my favourite was this Felix Vallotton of the beach at Dieppe on Bastille Day from 1903 but I couldn’t help to smile at this rude Toulouse-Lautrec!

Closed 24 June 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women