Deutsche Börse Photography Foundation Prize 2026
One of the better iterations of this annual exhibition at the Photographers’’ Gallery for the Deutsche Borse Photography Prize.
I have learnt that this is not a straight photography award but also included contemporary art works which have included extensive use of photography. I found all the four shortlisted entries very engaging this year.
On the top floor I began with Weronika Gęsicka constructed images based on "mountweazels" , fictitious encyclopaedia entries inserted as copyright traps as well as fabricated Wikipedia pages. She asks us to question what is real and what is fictitious in these believable images.
Next was Amek
Mahmoodian “One Hundred and
Twenty Minutes” based on the fact that on average we dream for 120 minutes a
night. An exile herself, she has asked fellow exiles to share their dreams and
work with her to construct images of them in drawings, photographs and words.
Down a floor found Rene Matić’s installation of diaristic images of their life and community, displayed in glass frames with a layered sound scape of church bells, news stories and conversations.
Finally, I got to Jane Evelyn Atwood’s moving black and white images from women’s prisons in Europe and America. Many were difficult viewing and a narrative of broken lives.
Closed 7 June 2026
Review


Comments