James McNeill Whistler

Wonderful exhibition at Tate Britain on the life and work of James McNeill Whistler.

The show was beautifully designed starting from the first room which was an invocation of his studio with pieces of furniture and ceramics he had owned alongside his drawing board and brushes.

After that it ran chronologically from his talented early work though to his later experiments in painting in black. There were lots of old friends alongside work I'd never seen before and a good mix of painting and prints.

As I'd travelled to the galley via Thames Clippers, I was of course drawn to the paintings and prints of the Thames which ranged from the wonderful "Wapping" painting of people in a  pub with the river behind, through the calming Nocturns and various print series.

Closes 27 September 2026

Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women