Gladys Hynes: Radical Lives

Disappointing exhibition at Charleston in Lewes focusing on the 20th century artist Gladys Hynes.

I was looking forward to this as Hynes had come up recently in a lecture and I was interested to see her work and learn more about her. The disappointment came because there was more work by other people in the show than by her. This did set her well within her circle and the art of the time, but it took the focus off her.

I suspect part of the problem was that she was so of her time that some elements were problematic now such as her friendship with known Fascists in the 1930s and in some cases I felt art by others was used to put forward alternate views. Obviously, it was right to acknowledge these issues but it made the show a bit heavy handed in places.

I loved her pale colours and elongated figures and the inclusion of a beautiful portrait sculpture by her and well as designs for book covers.

Closes 11 October 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women