Alvaro Barrington: Grace

Interesting installation at Tate Britain by Alvaro Barrington.

The display mirrored Barrington’s life experience in the sections, his Trinidad upbringing, Nottinghill Carnival and a street corner in New York.

Each section was quite distinct but they worked well together. The cavernous shape of the first section was changed by hanging a low, corrugated iron false ceiling. The middle represented the vibrancy of Carnival and the last was a caged, shuttered shop where the shutters in each side opened and closes alternatively.

My favourite aspect was incidental. I loved the shadows off the cafe on the gallery walls and the use he made of the lunettes which all other artists in that space have ignored.

However on the whole I wasn’t convinced. I feel I’ve done the Black/Gay thing enough, could we look at something else now please. I’m not sure this particular display added anything more.

Closes 26 January 2025


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

The Renaissance Nude