Our Future Planet

Eye opening exhibition at the Science Museum looking at ways to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

I have to admit it had never struck me that removing CO2 could be a solution to climate change but this show introduced me to many way in which that can be done. I’m not sure how practical some of the ideas were for mass use but it was fascinating to see the innovative approaches being taken.

I’m not sure I went round the show the right way but I started with a section on the Carbon XPRIZE, a competition for projects to turn CO2 emissions into usable products, with a prize of $20m for the team what turn the most CO2 into the product with the highest commercial value. On show were crayons, cutlery, sandals and lots more.

I was interested in the use of Basaltic rock dust from the construction industry which is spread on field to absorb CO2 from rain water which it turns to a solid which they washes off into the ocean. Also a project to trap the CO2 and store it deep under the North Sea.

There was also a section on the use of forests and the fact that half the CO2 we produce is already soaked up by the earth’s natural systems.

This is certainly a subject I am now noticing more in the press having done the show and I will look out for even more new ideas. Maybe if we can’t reduce our production of CO2 removing it might be a good added approach.

Closes September 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1