William Morris and the Arts and Crafts Home

Interesting online lecture from Stella Grace Lyons on William Morris, concentrating on his decorative work.

I hadn’t realised that William Morris had become trendy with the growth of Cottagecore style over recent months. Evidently he’s hot on Instagram! Who knew! I’m amused because I remember him coming back into style in the 1970s!

Stella took us through Morris’s life and friendship with Burne-Jones and Rossetti concentrating on how they worked together on decorative schemes and the inspiration behind those schemes. She looked at the Red House in Bexleyheath, Kelmscott Manor in Oxfordshire, the Café room at the Victoria and Albert Museum and Standen House in West Sussex.

I was particularly interested to hear that Morris’s Strawberry Thief design was inspired by watching thrushes steal fruit from the garden at Kelmscott as I am sitting typing at a dining table with a table cloth in that design. Maybe I am hip and trendy after all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1