Early Christian Rome

Excellent three week online course from the London Art History Society looking at the art and architecture of Early Christian Rome.

John McNeill was our guide on what felt like a wonderful tour of the city from about 35 to 650. In week one we looked at the catacombs and the great funerial basilicas. I was fascinated in the very early Christian images in the catacombs from secret signs to the start of the iconography we know today.

Week 2 was on architecture looking at both existing basilica churches and the Old St Peters. I realised how many of these I had visited on a trip to Rome without really appreciating what I was looking at and it’s age. I so want to go back.

Finally week 3 looked at the start of cycles of painting and mosaics in churches and its origins in sarcophagi decorated in scenes from the Old and New Testament. I was also fascinated by door panels which survive from about 430 at Santa Sabina.

All in all an interesting three hours leaving me with much to look up and learn more about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1