Dreamers Awake

Interesting exhibition at White Cube Bermondsey looking at Surrealist art by women from the 1930s to the present day.

I liked the way the show mixed the old and contemporary work. The main large room had 100 works in it from Leonora Carrington and Claude Cahun though to Gillian Wearing and Rachel Kneebone. I mention the room seemed to bring together a number of themes and ideas which I had seen recently.

I did find some of the work, particularly the more political work of the 1970s a bit obvious and felt myself shouting “Not another vagina” in my head! Yes I get it a flower looks like one, a tree knot does  etc etc. I felt  a bit bludgeoned by the end.

I did like some of the new contemporary work and fell heavily for the string of sculptured hand’s pictured here by Kelly Akashi entitled Well(-)Hung.

Closes on 17 September 2017.

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1