Summer Exhibition 2017

Eclectic exhibition at the Royal Academy of their annual open show of works.

I thought the show was a good one this year, intelligently hung and with a good variety of work. It was nice to recognise some artists I’d seen around contemporary shows this year and from previous Summer Exhibitions and always love the smaller pictures which this year  seemed to have escaped from their usual rooms.

However having said I thought it was a good show as I flick thought he book now I’m surprised at how few works I remember. My highlights this year included Mick Moons pictures using the grain of wood to represent the sea and with exquisitely painted tiny boats on them, Cornelia Parker’s sculpture of two suspended silver post, one of which was squashed and Liane Lang “Blow Out” a picture of church interior with exploding stained glass. I made lots of other notes but so cryptic I can’t remember the work!

Closes on 20 August 2017

Review
Guardian
Telegraph
Evening Standard


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1