Mr Turner

Amazing film on the later life of Turner. I don’t usually blog films but I think as this one is about art then I can count it. Watch out in a few entries times as I am allowing another one too!

I thought this film was amazing. I loved how it recreated the Royal Academy. It gave a better understanding of how the hang worked and the relationships between the artists. It was fascinating to see the different stages of pictures as Turner worked on them and to get some idea of the physicality of his painting style. I liked the scenes of his father preparing canvasses and paint and the nod to showing how the works were shown and sold.

Timothy Spall produced a masterclass in acting through grunts! By the end you felt you understood every nuance of every grunt!

I must admit to shedding a tear when “The Fighting Temeraire” was recreated as a real event. It gave an idea of the sense of occasion and of real sadness at the demise of an old ship. A really artistic film worthy of a great artist.

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Evening Standard


 

Comments

Richard Shock said…
Fully agree - some fine acting (and I can finally watch Timothy Spall without expecting him to turn into a rat!). From time to time, Mike Leigh's directing style produces something slightly stilted but one soon gets into the swing of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1