Alibis: Sigmar Polke 1963–2010

Retrospective at Tate Modern of the life and work of Sigmar Polke.

I have to admit I am a bit late in writing up the show and in coming to set down and catch up I realize how little of it has stuck with me. I think the impression I got was of a very experimental artist which tried many techniques and did not leave me with an image of any one style. Since seeing this I have seen the Kiefner show at the Royal Academy and oddly the first notes I make on Polke about him exploring and coming to terms with Germany’s Nazi history sounded very similar to my notes on Kiefner.

I did like the collages he did using cheap decorative fabrics and the large scale works of watchtowers but I seem to have forgotten the rest!

The leaflet kept referring to his humour but I must admit I missed it! There are various quotes which seemed to aim to burst the pomposity of the art world but somehow just sounded more pompous. All a bit of a turn off for me, sorry!

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1