Sensing Spaces: Architecture reimagined

Interesting exhibition at the Royal Academy which aimed to recreate the power of architecture in a gallery environment. How can we get an idea of inhabiting space rather than just reading about it or seeing it from the outside as in a traditional architecture exhibition?

It was a fascinating show but some of the rooms worked better than others. I loved the tower by Pezo von Ellrickshausen in the first room I went into. It was a big box on four columns which were spiral staircases taking you to the almost ceiling level. It was worth taking the ramp up instead as this gave wonderful views of the gold ceiling angels. I wasn’t so sure of Eduardo Souto de Moura’s recasting of the entrance arches to rooms. I liked them as objects and the way they sat with the originals but I didn’t’ feel they said enough to fill a room.

My favourite section was the maze like interior created by Li Xiaodong which took you into a forest like interior space winding round to find rooms and ending up at a hidden room of gravel. This had a sense of going somewhere and comfort.

This however is an exhibition to go to with other people. I went on my own but left I lacked someone to discuss it with or to egg me on to interact with the work. Take a friend!

Reviews
Times
Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1