Family stories of the Great War

Late night opening at the Greenwich Heritage Centre to launch their World War I War Memorials project.

There was a stall about the project which hopes to find out more about soldiers named on local memorials and see if they still have family in the area. I have volunteered to help with this. There were also stalls from the Firepower, the Royal Artillery museum next door, a group from the Progress Estate in Eltham, built to house munitions workers, which celebrates its centenary next year and a group looking to preserve the Blue Cross animal cemetery on Shooter’s Hill.

I also went to an interesting talk by a lady from the War Memorials Trust about their work and had a good chat to a man on the Firepower stall about how I might find out more about my Grandfather who fought in World War I. On his advice I am going to contact the archivist at the Museum.

However, almost best of all, was the Hop Stuff stall selling beer brewed on the Royal Arsenal site, about 200 yards away from the museum and about 100 yards away from my flat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1