Summer exhibtion

The Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy was a particularly good one this year.

As the friend I went with said it was if the little pictures which are usually corralled in the two Weston Rooms had broken out and taken over the whole space. There was a much better mix between the large statement pieces and the smaller accessible work.

Two unconscious themes seemed to appear this year. There were a lot of works which references the Old Masters and I particularly liked “Art class chart” by Nelly Dimitranoval. There were also lots of pictures showing the Shard from every angle!

There were lots of pictures I could have bought and lived with this year but my winner was “Living under blue skies, autumn sun” by Judith Green which was a wonderful picture of colourful roof tops with real depth to the composition.

I have to mention of course the amazing Grayson Perry tapestries! I had loved the TV program and been wanting to see the finished tapestries for a while. I will admit to be in the middle class ones to an almost clichéd degree and almost winced to see the Penguin cover mugs, the coffee maker, the Cath Kidston bag! 

Reviews 
Telegraph
Evening Standard

 




 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1