Keep your timber limber

Interesting exhibition at the ICA of works on paper from artists since the 1940s who have used traditional and commercial drawing techniques to challenge specific social, political or stylists conventions.

Many of these artists used comics, a fashion and illustration to revitalise drawing in the visual arts. I mainly visited because I knew there was some Tom of Finland on show. I am sure he is meant to be seen as shocking and ground breaking but I just find many of his figures rather sweet! I loved one of a man having his inside leg measured at the tailors while his sugar daddy looked on.

I was interested in the work of Antonio Lopez who had been influential in turning 80s designers and super models into household names but also documented a society being changed by Aids.

I was introduced to lots of new artists in this exhibition who I suspect I will come across again.

Reviews
Evening Standard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1