Courtauld summer school day 5

Can’t believe the course is over already. You just get into a routine and it’s finished!

Today’s first lecture was Tintoretto v Veronese. I’d never really understood Tintoretto before but, although I’m not sure I’ll ever respond emotionally to it, I get what he was aiming for and like some of the images in the iconography, I’d not really understood that his works tend to be for and full of the tradesman of the city. We did Veronese quite quickly, but it turned out the lecturers phd was on Tintoretto’s church Madonna dell’Orto so maybe a bit if bias crept in!

Second lecture was on the counter reformation. As usual I realised this is where I start to loose it with religious art. Things just become too prescriptive and a bit violent, I think I like my religion peaceful. As part of the session twpo members of the class read the dialogue between the inquisitor and Veronese regarding the “Feast at the House of Simeon” (or is it?) This really brought the topic to life and we followed it with a very lively discussion.

The afternoon trip was back to the National Gallery to concentrate on Titian, Veronese and Tintoretto with the odd Lotto thrown in for good measure. Just a perfect place look at this period (OK Venice itself would be better), Within about 3 rooms you have an example of most things you need to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1