Our Fragile Space

Interesting exhibition in the courtyard of Burlington House from the Royal Astronomical Society of photographs by Max Alexander reflecting changes to our perceptions of space since the launch of Sputnik.

The blurb points out that with the launch in 1957, man started placing objects into orbit around the world. Alexander reflects on both the beneficial and harmful effects of this. He also looks at human's relationship with space before this date.

Grouped in themes the photographs are arranged over six display stands with good commentaries about the images.

My favourite had to be this one of Joanna Hart, from the UK Science and Technology Facilities Council, demonstrating a colour coded map of satellites images of a wildfire in Mexico. I partly picked it because it was taken at Harwell where I worked for a year.

I also loved this one of Joanne Wheeler who advocates for standards for satellite operators. It is just so beautifully composed.

Closed 10 May 2026


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women